Wednesday, September 2, 2009

New York, New York

On Friday morning, August 28, 2009, I found myself sitting in Starbucks in New York City, reading My Life in France by Julia Child, and drinking the most unbearable cup of Joe with my coffee cake. I went up to visit two dear friends J. and M., except M. didn't know I was there yet (it was his 30th birthday). So I flew out of Richmond at about 7:30 a.m. and arrived at LaGuardia Airport around 9:00 a.m. Because M. works at Google, he can basically set his own work hours; therefore, I was waiting on him to get to the office. I stepped out of my taxi in a white shirt into a sopping drizzle, and my cabbie carried my luggage into Starbucks for me; sigh, how chivalric of him (I think it was because he forgot to set the taxi meter from the airport all the way to Stuytown (East Village-ish/Gramercy/Lower East Side-ish). I ask J. where exactly their apartment is in Manhattan all the time (which, unbeknownst to me, is quite the loaded question), she always tells me a description of an area rather than just a name; she describes the neighborhood as having a "full-blown neighborhood identity crisis." So I have found in my limited experience with taxi drivers that the street name and the avenue is the only way to get around. Speaking of taxis, here is a picture of J. and I going to Google to surprise M.!

Anyways, for M.'s birthday, we went on a City Lights tour on Friday night, which was awesome. We started on the West side of Manhattan and rode down the Hudson River, hit part of the Atlantic and then went up the East side of Manhattan, under the Brooklyn bridge, the Manhattan bridge, and I think the Williamsburg bridge...We then turned around and went down to the Statue of Liberty, which is really beautiful up-close-and-personal, and back up the Hudson River. We had this really monotone tour guide who was giving the history of the Native Americans on Manhattan, which is cool, but he kept saying these two phrases every other word: "the native Americans" and "the late natives." We were positive that at any moment he would tell us his family tree and of how it related to the Native Americans, but he only told us that if we became bored with his guide that we should all go to the deck to see the lights, and that is precisely what we did. I had many failed attempts of picture-taking during this endeavor, which is a pity, because the lights were beautiful.

Here is one failed attempt of the Brooklyn Bridge


J. and M. having a smooch in front of the Statue of Liberty


M. and J. have found their favorite Italian restaurant in the city, which was absolutely amazing. It's called Da Andrea Ristorante, and even the olive oil for the bread tasted like a dream. We ate there on Saturday night after a day packed full of shopping in SoHo. M. got these delicious flat buns served with "parma" imported prosciutto. They were heavenly:

Le Tigelle Modenesi Con Prosciutto Crudo di Parma


For dinner I just got a plain Italian staple (at least it is around my dad and mom's house): Spaghetti alla Chitarra con Salsa alla Bolognese (also known as, homemade spaghetti with Bolognese meat sauce). The noodles were fresh and the dish was steeping full of beautiful notes; it was a symphony for my mouth:



We ate at the round table by the window. So quaint.
(This photo is from http://www.biassanot.com/)
This trip served to remind me that as long as you have good company, the only other accompaniment that you need is good food.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Minus the shopping in Soho, I have to say I am a little envious of your NY excursion. The Spaghetti and Gravy looked delicious. Glad you're having fun in the working world.