Thursday, September 17, 2009

It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

For the record, I received the most hilarious email forward. It was called, "20 Ways to Maintain a Healthy Level of Insanity," and it's literally been cracking me up about 48 hours. Some of my favorites on the list include: #1 At Lunch time, sit in your parked car with sunglasses on and point a hair dryer at passing cars. See if they slow down; #7 Finish all your sentences with, "In accordance with the prophecy"; and #14 Put mosquito netting around your work area and play tropical sounds all day. Something in me really believes that the crazy and pointless email forwarding system is part of a pyramid scheme, so I don't really forward things to people; however, I might make an exception if anyone is interested.
One of my favorite things about the real world is that when 5:00 rolls around, you go home and don't have "work" to do. College was very much the opposite; most of the time I really liked going to class because it meant that I wasn't reading on the required 247 pages for the next shebang of classes on the following day. As soon as you got home from all the classes, you had to get to work.........of course there were recreational activities in between, but I had a really hard time doing something totally fun during the week because I felt guilty. I thought things like, "Man, in the time I spent at Chipotle this week, I could have written two papers.......dangit, Bobby." But now that I have a job, I can do whatever I want after work, which is both my favorite and my least favorite thing about the real world. Sometimes I can't wait to get home and work on a project or watch a movie or eat a scrumdidliumptious meal. Then there are other days when I get excited about going home, but then I ask myself, .......to what? I have a hard time not having plans, but I also like to have an open schedule.......it's all very oxymoronic. With all the extra time on my hands after 5:00 p.m., I decided to take a pottery class for 8 weeks. I have worked with clay only a couple of times; my aunt teaches high school art and does really neat stuff with clay in her class, so as a girls-night-out when I was younger, we made beautiful pots at her house. Then in high school, I learned basic techniques, and now, I'm trying to make some lovely dishes/cups/trays/whatever I feel like........which sometimes tests my patience. I have tried my hand at making many things, and I must admit that I have a newfound respect for potters; I mean, how on earth do you get everything to look so perfect? I fell into a slump at my last class and was giving myself a silent pity party because my stuff didn't look like anything that anyone would be caught dead displaying in their house. Sigh, maybe next week my hands will be able to work some magic...

No comments: