Thursday, March 10, 2011

Avocado Tree

I have been on a huge avocado kick for the last week; I've eaten it almost every day.  H. says that my body is probably craving omega-3, but all I know is that I love me some avocado. 

I made a yummilicious dinner last night for my friend A. and myself.:  grilled, avocado and cheese sandwiches, zucchini boats and cheddar grits (just the instant kind, but I love them).

Grilled Avocado & Cheese Sandwich (there's a lot of slicing involved in this sandwich)
Layer in the following order and "grill" in a skillet:
1 slice of bread, buttered (butter-side down)
1 slice provolone cheese
3 slices cooked bacon
Avocado slices (I used 1/3 of an avocado for one sandwich)
2 tomato slices
1 slice provolone cheese
Last slice of bread, buttered (butter-side up)

Zucchini Boats
4 zucchinis
1/2 t. minced garlic
1/2 of a tomato, diced
2 T. sour cream
1/4 t. lemon pepper
Parmesan cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise (remove stem and blossom ends); set the zucchini halves aside on a baking sheet.  With a spoon, scoop out zucchini and chop.  In a skillet over medium heat, add 2. T. olive oil and saute garlic for about 1 minute.  Then add zucchini and lemon pepper and saute until tender (less than five minutes); stir in tomatoes and sour cream.  Remove from heat and evenly distribute sauteed vegetables among the zucchini halves.  Sprinkle the tops with Parmesan cheese.  Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GIRLFRIEND. Try putting some crispy bacon on those avocado and cheese sammiches. You won't regret it! :)

Love,
NikNak

PS: I have been [very slowly] starting to eat tomatoes lately. Aren't you proud? I might even be able to try these zucchini boats.

PPS: LOVE YOU!

PPPS: My comments are way too long.

Anonymous said...

PPPPPPPPPPPS: I am an idiot. You already have bacon on there.

It's been a long day. :)