Friday, October 7, 2011

Friday, I'm in Love

...with Felicity. Do y'all remember that show? It first aired in the late 90's. Anyway, I'd seen every episode except for the finale and I've been searching high and low for it on the Internet for a few years (not actively, but you know, when it crossed my mind). Earlier this week I was reading a blog that made a reference to netflixing Felicity. At first I scoffed at this with an emphatic pshhhh! because a few months ago I looked into whether it was available for Netflix online streaming and it was not. This blog had tempted me to check into it again, and when I did, there was a wonderful treat waiting for me: online streaming Felicity. I obviously watched the final episode and stayed up way too late to finish it. And just so we're clear, I think Keri Russell's hair rivals that of the best hairdos Jennifer Anniston has ever rocked. Whenever perms come back in (will they ever?), I'll probably get one, freak out for about 2 weeks because I won't know what to do without my-straighter-than-a-stick-hair, and then I'll eventually find a way to avoid looking like a Pomeranian.

I can't decide if I'm satisfied with the Felicity finale. We like to watch television shows because they are serial, and we can relate to it because our lives are like that, ongoing. We get to know the characters (and can relate to them on a certain level, depending on the show), and then we become invested in them and what they do on the show. When the show ends, it feels lame and disappointing. I feel the same way about many books, even if they have that "perfect ending." I become invested in the characters and then it ends, meaning I don't know what else happens to the character out in Fiction Land. It's entertaining in the midst, but when it's over, I'm unfulfilled. Don't get me wrong, there are obviously exceptions to what I'm saying. Maybe my expectations are just way too high. And yes, I realize I'm giving commentary on a show that stopped airing almost 10 years ago. I'll stop now.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: