Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Forever in Blue Jeans

I got an LL Bean catalog in the mail today and while flipping through it, I was reminded of one of my favorite SNL commercial parodies:  Mom Jeans (sorry, LL Bean, but the jean department is lacking in my opinion). If you haven't seen it, you need to drop everything you're doing right now and remedy this issue. While we're on the subject of jeans, you can go ahead and watch another commercial parody favorite of mine, Bad Idea Jeans. I am sure I've posted at least one of these video links on rintherealworld. If not, I have done you a disservice and I apologize. 

Along with the introduction of September, this week has presented a plethora of autumnal qualities. It's been rainy for the past three days, the temperature has been in the mid-sixties and the lingering side effects of Labor Day weekend, also referred as the peak of fall allergies, are about to end. Once I get over the sneezing and sniffles from the last couple of weeks (I can't tell you how many times my co-workers have gracefully said, "God bless you!" since last week), I am ready for fall. 

I have always had a terrible time with allergies for, well, my entire life. I'm allergic to most everything outside, all kinds of grass, trees, cats, mold, dust mites, pollen, down, etc. Growing up, I always hated spring because all the new life blooming sent me into wheezing fits, especially in the evenings. Much to my entire family's dismay, all my camping memories are associated with the Benadryl haze...2011 has been a miracle for me in the allergy department, though. I always dreamed of a day when my allergies weren't so out of control, but they were so terrible that I thought they would last forever. But let me tell you people, I haven't taken a Claritin in over a year, and I have only taken Benadryl twice since January 2011 (even though I keep a ready supply of the stuff at all times)! I've read accounts about how increasing vitamin C intake can help reduce the body's histamines, and I've read that decreasing one's consumption of processed foods can also help, but I know that's not all that did it for me. All I can say is thank you, Jesus! It's been such a blessing not having to fool with the mess of allergies.

Back to fall. I am so stoked about the new season! Fall is my favorite for many reasons (I'll list just a few): sweaters, soup, boots, casseroles, knitting, apple picking, the smell of smoke in the air, blazers, change, tailgating, baking, traveling, cake, fireplaces, layers, Hemingway, flannel and last (for now), but certainly not least: blue jeans. I wish I could wear them way more than I already do, but if that's my only problem, then I'd say I'm not doing too shabby.

2 comments:

H said...

I love fall too! We definitely need to arrange some barter system for fall-themed entrees :-)

R. said...

Yes, we should have a meal exchange one week; it would be nice to not have to cook every day!