Monday, July 20, 2009

Who'll Stop the Rain

So on Friday night, it was pouring the rain, literally pouring. I really love summer rains; there's really nothing like them. I was relaxed listening to the rain and watching TV because that's one of my new found favorite past times when all of the sudden I thought to myself: It sounds like it's raining in my bathroom. So I walked the ten feet from the living room into my bathroom and lo and behold! there was water running down my freshly painted (by fresh, I mean a week ago) Diving Board walls. Now, this is the downfall of living in the basement; no drainage system, no gutters to fend off water, etc. The really old, grungy white curtains (the ones I haven't replaced) were soaked and there was a steady stream of water racing down the window. My neighbor/friend/co-worker/landlord was not upstairs and I didn't really have the resources or the means to be making any major DIY repairs on the exterior of my windows because a waterfall was keeping me from doing so. I got kind of depressed because a) I didn't have any plans, b) It was raining in my bathroom, and c) I was standing on top of the toilet holding a towel below the window staring into the black oblivion on a Friday night. Now if that's not depressing, I don't know what is. So I decided to "be proactive" (an encouragement my mom always bestows upon me) and went to look for something to fend off the army of water molecules trying to sabotage my paint job. I found a medium-sized piece of plywood and trekked outside, found a place to prop it so that water wouldn't come into the apartment anymore, and in the process got soaked (because my rain jacket was still at my other apartment, imagine that). My friend/former-roommate Niknak happened to ring me up and in an attempt to get a jump start of some of her own home improvements, like painting wooden side and coffee tabletops this awesome teal color, she needed some steel wool. Is it sad that I had a whole pack in my tool box? Niknak and her sweet dog Roxiebear came over and cheered me up; I told her about my lame evening and she dropped an even worse situation on me. She had just found out that her soon-to-be-landlord, who is in the process of fixing up her soon-to-be apartment, committed a major decorating faux pas by painting the ascetically pleasing, red brick, largest wall in the apartment with white paint! We are both very distressed about this and she is actively searching out every possibility for fashionably turning the disaster into a masterpiece (I'll keep you posted on what happens next). Niknak, if you're reading this, don't despair; you'll figure something out! So when Nik and Rox were leaving, like any normal hostess, I walked them to the door, and we were just standing there chit chatting when we happened to just look at my door and it looked like yellow gunk was running down the door. We had no idea what it could be, but when we looked closer, we realized that my apartment door was being attacked by miniature slugs. It was a very shocking thing to see; I'd never seen microscopic slugs...in my life...Ever. Niknak quickly left because they were falling into the basement and I freaked out, ran into my kitchen, poured a handful of salt and threw it at the door like my life depended on it and slammed it shut. I then resumed the TV watching, wondered if slugs would invade my apartment and crawl into my ears while I was sleeping and became exhausted at the thought of it and went to bed. Oh the joy of summer rains.

No comments: