Friday, July 10, 2009

She Works Hard for the Money

Imagine an attorney, a paralegal getting ready to go to law school and a paralegal-in-training briskly walking along the sidewalk to the bank to wire money for a real estate closing. The attorney is wearing a black and white knee-length dress with black flats, the paralegal getting ready to go to law school is wearing black pants, a white shirt and a crimson red tie and the paralegal-in-training is wearing royal blue and white checkered pants and a short-sleeved button-up shirt with a yellow sash and silver 3-inch high heels. On any ordinary day, this endeavor wouldn't be a sight to see, but on July 7, 2009, it was the attorney's first commercial real estate closing, the paralegal getting ready to go to law school had the form to give to the bank and the paralegal-in-training was tagging along for the ride with less than five minutes before the bank would cease doing wire transfers for the day...Therefore, the attorney began running in her flats down the historic Charlottesville Court Square and the paralegal getting ready to go to law school followed in her footsteps and they left me, in the dust, in my silver high heels, pathetically trying to run on the balls of my feet. The attorney turned around while running and said, "Don't run in your heels! You have to be employed somewhere at least 30 days before workers comp. applies!" I stopped and began laughing because only a lawyer would say something like that. It was awesome. Through it all, the wire transfer was a success; I did make it to the bank shortly after the attorney and the paralegal getting ready to go to law school, and I didn't eat bricks in front of the historic Albemarle Co. courthouse, which was a good thing. I started work full-time on Monday, July 6, 2009 at a law office as their new paralegal. I worked there as a part-time office assistant from August 2008 until May 2009 and was promoted to paralegal. I just graduated from the University of Virginia and am staying in Charlottesvegas a while longer. Now I can actually do all the things I always wanted to but was unable to do in college, such as, oh, I don't know, actually go to Monticello. I'm also in the middle of apartment improvements, such as painting every room in the apartment. I have my bedroom and the living room finished; they are painted with a Laura Ashley color called "Swiss Almond." My kitchen and bathroom are tentatively going to be painted my favorite of the paints I'll be using, Martha Stewart's "Diving Board." Save the best for last, right? I'm going to upload before and after pictures later when all is said and done, which should be in another week or so.

No comments: