Tuesday, February 1, 2011

9 to 5

Raise your hand if you love The Office.  I do!  It's my favorite television series, and well, sometimes I go on little Office marathon binges and I watch every episode all over again because I own every season on DVD.  In my daily life, I have little Office moments wherein something happens or someone says something that makes me think of an episode or quote from Agent Michael Scarn or the character I simultaneously love and hate, Dwight.  

One such moment happened to me a few weeks ago.  I volunteer at a local arts organization in town, and I was sitting in a meeting with people I did not know, and I would definitely be seeing them again.  There was one little problem:  I could not remember everyone's names.  I immediately set forth in my mind to think of a way to remember people's names sitting across the table from me, and that's when it happened.  Please read the below quote, and try to picture me in the meeting actively trying not to crack up.  Anybody remember this episode?

Michael Scott:  I don't know you.  But I need to know you in order to sell to you.  That is why I have asked you to go around and tell me your names.  I have an amazing mnemonic device by which I have no memorized all of your names.  [Pointing to people] Shirty, mole, lazy eye, Mexico, baldy, sugar boobs, black woman.  I have taken a unique part of who you are, and I have used that to memorize your name.  Baldy.  Your head is bald.  It is hairless.  It is shiny.  It is reflective, like a mirror.  M.  Your name is Mark.


No comments: