Tuesday, February 23, 2010

All These Things That I've Done

For the past several months, I've been badgering Niknak to start a blog. She's an excellent writer, she's got great stories to tell, and because we're all so busy, blogs are a great way to keep up with what friends are doing with their lives. Last week, Niknak finally launched a sweet blog, and since she has done so, I've realized how unfaithful I've been when it comes to keeping mine updated. When she told me what it was called, "My Backburner," my mind immediately resorted to a song that until the other day, I couldn't think of the title, that says, "Don'tcha put me on the back burner-er-er," by The Killers, one of my favorite bands of all time. It's called, "All These Things That I've Done." every time I hear this song, I always think about "Dreams" by The Cranberries; both songs have similar qualities, in my opinion. Anyways, don't put Niknak on the back burner, check her out.
Back to my unfaithfulness. There are so many food blogs out there, and part of me fears that rintherealworld is turning into a food blog, but let's face it, all I want to do in the winter is cook and eat. I'm waiting on a certain recipe, ahem, but I won't mention any names. All I'll say is that she commented about giving me "Natalie's Chocolate Cafe Au Lait Cake" recipe, and I'd like to try it out for cake #3 in Chocolate Cakery Shenanigans. I haven't even seen the recipe, but I love the name. When it comes to names and titles, especially of books and songs, I'm a book-by-the-cover judge. Sad, but true; at least I'll confess it.
One day last week, I was sitting in my office (obviously thinking about food in between the closing and cost statements I was working on), and a recipe idea just came to me. It was a light bulb moment for me, you know, the Aha! kind of moments in life that are absolutely blissful and seemingly few and far between. I had some tomatoes that were getting too ripe and taking up too much real estate in my limited-counter-space kitchen, so naturally I was trying to think of something to do with them. I went home after work and threw a few ingredients together, but I didn't record the proportions (I'm getting better with recording my experiments, but I'm still working on it...). I'm calling them Tomato Cakes. They're like a corn pancake with a big juicy slice of tomato in the center--I know what you're thinking, but no, it's not really a fried green tomato--and topped with a dollop of sour cream, I think my dad might be inclined to say they were what killed Elvis. I'm planning on making them later this week and I'll record measurements and share with all five of you (Because I hate to follow a vague recipe unless I'm just dying to get creative with it, turn it into a different animal and claim it as my own at a later date.).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the shoutout, girlfriend. you realize that by linking to my blog, you make ME accountable for being faithful to it. and right before i go to the beach where there's no internet. sheesh. anyways, you are great, and so is your cooking. love :)